One of my all time favorite breakfasts is as simple as a deli style everything bagel. The grocery bagels just wont do it for me, but bagel shops tend to get pricey. Once I learned how easy it is to make them right at home, I never looked back.
1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) warm water (between 100-110°F, 38-43°C)
2 and 3/4 teaspoons instant or active dry yeast
4 cups (520g) bread flour
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 tbsp olive oil (to coat bowl)
Trader Joes (or other brand) everything bagel seasoning
2 quarts water
1/4 cup honey
- Prepare the dough: Whisk the warm water and yeast together in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. The dough is very stiff and will look somewhat dry.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead the dough for 6-7 minutes. After kneading, the dough should still feel a little soft. Poke it with your finger—if it slowly bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading. The dough is too heavy for the mixer to knead it.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil or nonstick spray. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until double in size.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Shape the bagels: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. (Just eyeball it– doesn’t need to be perfect!) Shape each piece into a ball. Press your index finger through the center of each ball to make a hole about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter. Loosely cover the shaped bagels with kitchen towel and rest for a few minutes as you prepare the water bath.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Water bath: Fill a large, wide pot with 2 quarts of water. Whisk in the honey. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Drop bagels in, 2-4 at a time, making sure they have enough room to float around. Cook the bagels for 1 minute on each side.
- Pour the everything bagel seasoning into a shallow dish. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash (1 egg white and a tbsp of water mixed) on top and around the sides of each bagel. Dip into the everything bagel seasoning. Place bagels onto lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. You want the bagels to be a dark golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow bagels to cool on the baking sheets for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Short on time and need to make them the night before?